This beauty is from 1968. And the more I look at it the more I like the looks of it. It is really quite beautiful, isn’t it?
The camera handles very nicely, the winding lever moves smoothly and the actual picture taking sound has a lovely mellow “swoosh” in it. The 50/1.7 lens appears very sharp for now but I need to check it out more. An adapter from the M42 lens to EOS is on its way from Ebay.
There is an exposure meter of sorts in the body: The lens to the right in the picture above (below the rewinding knob) houses a CdS-type light sensor. The incoming light sets off a meter deflection visible from above the body. Through an intricate linkage mechanism with moving scales, the meter should indicate suitable f/stop for the currently selected shutter speed and light conditions. I wrote should as the CdS-cell apparently is not “a-ok”, the meter seldom moves above f/1.4. Pity.
The camera is completely manual in that you set aperture, shutter speed and focal distance. Manual focussing is something I like so that is not a drawback and with todays film perfect exposure is not necessary, a step or two f/stops overexposure is of no concern. The Sunny-16 rule works fine (or rather a Sunny-11 here in the winter).
As usual with such an old camera the mechanism needed a going over. This specimen was slower than acceptable on the longer times. So I disassembled it just till the curtains and managed to get it together again (yeay, applause etc!!!). My first SLR-repair, and it was successful.
For testing I ran a roll of Fomapan 400 through it. Not the finest grain film, I know, but useful at these latitudes in the winter. As it turned out I could just have run an ACROS 100 in it as it was a sunny day, but I didn’t know that when I loaded a roll from my bulk film. Oh, well.
Some shots from the first roll come below (actually it was the second roll as the first one was developed with much too old, and therefore oxidized Fomadon R09. Remember to evacuate the air above the liquid every time!) all were taken with the Yashinon 50/1.7 mostly at f/16 or thereabouts. They have been adjusted a bit on a Macbook Pro with Aperture. Overall the camera seems to run well but there is something with the 2nd curtain that sometimes hinders it from going all the way and signal for the mirror to drop. I really need to take it apart again and see if I missed something the first time.
If I do I will document the steps and post here.
So, the photos (Note to self: My scanning routines must be improved!):